When I was in college their was always a desire that If I would have been in Stanford or some great university I would have access to world’s best professors and it would have been a different learning experience altogether.
How great it would be if I can study whatever I feel like outside of our course in a systematic way and can learn the fundamentals that help to grow my knowledge, fundamentals or businesses
Internet is open and google always helps but still felt their is a lack to find the best course material or community for International Students to learn new courses and subjects that interests you. Life is no better and still lakhs of student who passes out every year have very diminished knowledge about what they study. In most part, Indian Universities and Institutions are unable to provide good Professors or teachers to students. It still continues to be like this and “Quality Education” is still far from anyone without any differences. Students are first categorized on basis of their caste, creed, grades and reservation. Economic condition of a family is always a primary concern besides all these factors.
Recently after 4 years of college education and during my visit Bay area and Stanford. I heard about Coursera, founded by Stanford computer science professors Daphne Koller and Andrew Ng ( StanfordDaily ).
We offer high quality courses from the top universities, for free to everyone. We currently host courses from Princeton University, Stanford University, University of California, Berkeley, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, and University of Pennsylvania. We are changing the face of education globally, and we invite you to join us.
Then I started with more exploration and soon realized some best part of joining these courses. Mind it it’s free
- Variety of Courses. I can study about anything and take up course of my choice e.g Algorithms, Pharmacology, Finance, Humanitics etc
- Course taught by World’s best professors and Universities. Seriously it feels great to have access to best profs.
- Small Video based tutorial. According to me “Small” videos are the key, as it’s easy to concentrate for shorter time and easy to watch as and when time suits you
- Interactions with like minded people from the globe on the Discussion Forums
- Format of the Syllabus and weekly assignment keep the clock ticking
- Content of the course is way too good and easy to understand for anyone.
Last but not the least, now anyone from anywhere in the world can enroll and (re)study without any hesitation in his/her own time.
Heartiest thanks to the Universities and their Teachers and Professors to impart their knowledge to the world from their schedule and thanks to Coursera for providing it for free without any difference to everyone. Period
Note: This is in no way Coursera marketing but genuine feedback from a learning student 🙂